For the most part, my color selection was determined by what the few shop I knew of had in the way of thread. Within that selection, I pretty much picked my colors for a particular hex at random or with some thought of "what goes together" (but I am somewhat red-green color blind). I did, when I had the material, do all the holidays I actually celebrate somewhat: Christmas, Valentine's Day, St Patrick's, Independence, Hallowe'en, and Thanksgiving, I did the school colors of all the schools I'd been or taught at (when I could remember what the colors, or look them -- a school so small that I was on the basketball team probably didn't have colors). I did the colors of the liturgical year. I tried some variations on the usual stitches (which didn't work out too well -- especially the round spiral center that never did get back to a true hex). Anyhow, I just kept quietly (the important part) hooking away.
As a result, I discovered one day that I had a bag of well over 200 hexes. So, someone said, maybe I should make something out of them, an afghan, say. I'd long since lost the Stewart article, which gave instructions on binding the pieces together, so I tried a few things that seemed right and finally found one that I could do almost as mindlessly as making the hexes. But then there was the problem of how to arrange them. I started by working outward from a central hex to the six adjoining hexes but quickly lost the over all pattern for the individual block, so that even though I knew I needed to work on one corner, I could not find that corner again. So I gave it up and made more hexes.